Saturday, November 24, 2012

Cutting the Christmas Tree

Last year, we went to the mountains for the 1st time to cut down a tree.  The experience was not exactly the best, but when I asked the kids if they wanted to do it again this year, they all said "yes!".  Joe and I reminded them all of how they needed to behave even if the weather turned out to be cold and they all agreed they would be superstars. 

We headed out the Saturday after Thanksgiving to pick out our tree.  We again met the O'Reillys, the Balluffs, and lots of other friends in Conifer and then made a caravan to Buffalo Creek where our permits are from.  JP was especially excited that Rhonda and Luke came too, so he had a friend to play with.

The temperatures were close to 20 degrees warmer than last year.  I just looked back at my post from last year and saw it was 34 degrees out.  Joe and I thought it was only in single digits!  This year was in the 50's and the it made all the difference in the world.  We must have searched for well over and hour and no one complained of getting cold.  In fact, I was carrying everyone's gloves and hats near the end.

We finally decided on a tree.  I'm sure it will look smaller once we get it inside, but out in the woods we thought it was pretty great.  We cut it down and headed back out to the cars and the party.  By this time Ryan and Caitlin were ready for a break and some food.  Next year, I think I'll bring some snacks in the woods to keep them energized! 

The O'Reillys supplied the chili and everyone else brought food to share.  We had fun visiting with everyone and catching up.  The Stokeld's brought their 2-yr-old triplets which was a treat.  It's hard to even remember when ours were that little!  JP helped Joe load up the tree and we headed back to Denver.  Everyone agreed it was a success and JP declared that we got the best tree on the whole mountain!

The hunt begins:
 
Ryan found a tree just his size:

Silly girls:

I think Madison could have stayed out there all day.  She was having the best time.

We found "the" tree!

Our attempt at group shot.  Ryan was ready to head back!

Timber!

Action shot!

Double the triplets!

JP had so much fun with Luke:

George & Ryan = Double Trouble:

The girls found some "mistletoe" in the woods.  Daddy showing Caitlin how it works:

The whole group:

Packing the tree up for the ride back to Denver!


No comments: