Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bye Bye to the Binkies

It was time to say good-bye.  I knew that it had to be done.  I love the binkies.  I will miss them.  Just another sign that our babies aren't babies anymore. :(

At 24 months, we took them down to just using them for naps and night.  That really wasn't that big of an ordeal.  They loved letting the others know if they saw one of those things go out the bedroom door. "No, No Ry Ry binkies for night night!"  Beginning then, I started to plant the seed that they were getting to be big kids and pretty soon the binkies would have to go to other babies.  Just like with JP we told them that maybe they would like to give them to a baby kitty or doggy to use.  They loved talking about little kitties and puppies using them.

3 months later, when Nana was coming I thought it was a good time for them to go.  We discussed it for about a week ahead of time and on the eve of her departure back to South Carolina they gave them away.  After they packed them in the suitcase,  the all started to look a little sad.  The first night was pretty rough, taking Madison about 2 hours to fall asleep with the other two taking their turns at crying as well.  Nap time was a little rough at first too.  The second night, anyone in their right mind probably would have given Ryan's back to him when he was up for two hours until midnight complaining.  But we held strong. It's been almost a week now and things are getting back to normal.  They all are getting better at going down without them, although it does take them a little longer without the aid of a binky.  It's done and over, just another of many milestones.  When JP had to let his go, I think I was harder on me than him.  I think it will be the same with the trio.

1 comment:

athena said...

oh, how sweet to hear them all say "bye bye binky." I admit, I'm a little sad to think about us doing the same thing eventually. About a year ago or so I was so tired of buying binkies and then losing them. I bought five two-packs and said "once these run out, that's it." Somehow, we still have at least 8 of them, which is just plain impressive. glad to hear they are doing well.