Friday, October 31, 2008

Trick or Treat on Trenton Street




Our formal ghost
with handmade
monster treat bag.





Lions and
Tigers and Bears
(oh my!)









It's been busy around here getting ready for Halloween (but so much fun!). Grandmom and Pop arrived from Massachusetts on Wednesday and we've kept them on the go between watching babies and getting ready for the big night.

Last Sunday, (as JP was beginning to get sick) Joe and he went over to our neighbor's annual pumpkin carving party. They were able to get 2 pumpkins carved before JP started to feel pretty bad and had to come home. We then spent the next few days getting him better.

On Thursday, JP started the day making a trick-or-treat bag. He did a great job creating monsters on a paper sack. Without help from anyone, he used his markers, glue stick, scissors and contruction paper to make a pretty great looking bag. He traced his own hands and glued them on as the monster's hands.
In the afternoon, we made his costume. He wanted to be a ghost this year (I was thrilled at the easy old-school pick!). Grandmom had sent him a sheet and a few holes later he was set. It has been so warm here that we worked out on the back porch and the babies loved watching JP turn into a ghost. He kept saying Boo to them, and they laughed and laughed. Last night we had to add a necktie to keep the sheet from moving around too much. He was a very fancy ghost!
I then took JP over to his old babysitters to see his friend Ally. She was a lion this year and the two got to run around for a bit. That night, Grandmom and JP made monkey (banana) muffins. He had found the recipe in his Highlights magazine and was dying to make them. They turned out great. That night JP and Ryan wore their matching PJ's. It doesn't get much cuter than this! Maddi also wore some Halloween PJ's that we had. When Joe went to get her Friday morning he saw she had kicked the bottoms off during the night! Won't be wearing these again!

Yesterday was fun-filled also. Grandmom and Pop took JP uptown to the little bookstore that had a Halloween party with a puppet show and treats. I think Joe was one of the older kids there, but he still had a good time. All day he kept asking "How many hours until trick-or-treating?" We made a lasagna for dinner and I had fun with JP saying it was a witch's lasagna. I told him the mushrooms were toad stools, the basil was lizard scales, the egg was an iguana's egg, etc. etc. He thought that was pretty cool.
It was 76 degrees here yesterday. I can't remember it ever being so warm on Halloween. At a little before 6pm he headed out. I joined with JP and Joe around our block while Grandmom and Pop passed out candy and watched the babies. It's so fun seeing all of our neighbors and kids out with their costumes on. Because it was so warm people were standing in the streets just having a good time. As it grew darker it turned into groups of kids from all over. I'm sure they know our neighborhood is a great place to trick-or-treat.
The babies got their costumes on as well and had fun sitting on the front porch watching all the kids. I had around 600 pieces of candy and we turned out the lights at 7:50pm. I would say 1/2 the kids got 1 piece and 1/2 got 2. Another fun Halloween put to bed!

No comments: