Friday, August 22, 2008

We officially have ourselves a Kindergartener!!

What a big week for us! JP is officially part of "the system" now- the public school system that is. It's a little scary for me to know that there's no turning back now! I feel like he's grown up so much even in the 1st week- Joe and I just keep saying what a big kid.

Most of you know that we live in a neighborhood that was formally the old Stapleton Airport. Our community is only 5.5 years old, but already has 2 grade schools and a charter school within it. At Joe's school alone, there are 5 kindergarten classes this year. That means over 125 kids were starting full day kindergarten on Monday (they don't offer 1/2 day at his school). It was crazy.

After some Lucky Charms cereal (for good luck) and pictures, I walked with JP and some of the neighbors down to the school bus stop 2 blocks away. He was very excited, that is until the big yellow bus pulled up. Instant fear set in. The tears started and I practically was shoving my little boy onto the bus telling him I would meet him at school. Once at school, he hoped off the bus, very happy to see me, and we set out to find the Kindergarten door. I couldn't believe that nobody was there directing kids where to go- thank goodness I met Joe's bus. How it works at Bill Roberts Elementary is that all kids wait outside until the 1st bell rings. Then, the teachers come out and escort their class inside. With 125+ kids and parents waiting to go in and not really knowing how everything works, it was a little crazy to say the least. I went inside with him after his teacher Mrs. Canale came out and made sure he made it to a seat on the carpet. There were a few more tears as I was getting ready to leave but I told him it was OK to be scared and I knew he would have a lot of fun. I'm sure it was much harder on me than him!

I was looking at the clock all day and couldn't wait until 3:30. Then came my big kid hopping off the school bus waving goodbye to the driver. He was wearing his name tag, a "1st day of school" hat he made and a pinned-on note with his bus number- so cute! He was happy and excited and had a great day. He made some new friends, did some artwork, had music class (he told me his music teacher told his class they had better rhythm than the 3rd graders), had hot lunch in the cafeteria, had gym class. His teacher gave him a good helper sticker and a kiss (Hershey's) when he left for the day. His Dad says he wishes he could go to Bill Roberts school. If you're wondering how I was able to get him to tell me so much, its because we greeted him with a "Way to Go" balloon and chocolate cupcakes after school. You can get out a lot of info over a chocolate cupcake!

On Tuesday, JP was excited for school. At the bus stop, there was a little hesitancy to get on, but no tears. I met him at school one more time and made sure he knew where to walk to. I told him I wasn't supposed to go in the school with him when his teacher came out, but that's when the tears started. So, I took him inside to his classroom door and told him the teacher didn't want me to go inside- which actually is the truth. He gave me about 6 hugs and again I had to leave my little boy with tears. But sure enough, it was a happy kid who stepped off the bus that afternoon with lots of new stories. We also heard details about the call we received that morning from the school nurse. Joe and I laugh that we were probably her 1st call of the year! Evidently JP ran into a piece of playground equipment on recess and got a big goose egg on his forehead. She was just calling to let us know to expect it and that she was putting ice on it. I talked to JP on the phone and he seemed fine about the whole thing and wanted to stay at school. Sure enough, there was a big bump on his head, but by Wednesday morning it almost gone.

I think Wednesday was the hardest day for me, because I had to put JP on the bus and then wait all day to see how he did. At least in preschool I could control when he came and went. I couldn't be there to make sure he went in the right direction. Of course all went well and he told me he wasn't even scared. Of course, he also told me he went to the wrong door first, but I'm thinking he was just curious to see what was behind "door #2". Thursday and Friday went well also. I think he really likes all the changes in scenery during the day. He has seperate music, gym, and art teachers, eats lunch in a cafeteria and has a whole new set of playground equipment to play on. What a big kid!

We also had one more exciting thing happen this week. Last night, the babies went 8 hours between feedings! It may have been a fluke, but I know they can do it now- YEAH!!



















Hanging out with the trips before school.



















They love watching every move their big brother takes.

























All ready to go.

























I'm not so sure about this.

























Getting off the bus at school.

























After his 1st day.

























"Yeah- my brother likes school!" Caitlin says


Here's a video after a successful 1st week. Now I see why they put 2 boxes of bandaids on the school supply list. My son will use his fair share. Sorry I took this video sideways!

No comments: