On Monday we had lots of visitors. In the afternoon, friends that I used to work with- Ellen and Merrillyn came to see the babies bringing lunch and gifts. Later that evening Aunt Anne & Uncle Sean came by with dinner. I think people have realized we love not having to make meals!! Then, at 9:30 pm Grandmom and Pop arrived for a 2 week stay from Massachusetts. They jumped right in and helped Joe with the 11pm feeding that night!
On Tuesday, we had 2 doctors appointments. Grandmom and Pop held down the fort as I went in for my 6 week and final perinatolgist appt and JP went for his 6 week check of his tubes. My appointment went well. I am healing up nicely and can start doing some exercise now. The scale says I have less than 5lbs to lose and its still all in my stomach. I know it will never be the same, but I have 3 beautiful babies, so I'm not complaining. It was actually a little sad saying goodbye to the staff and doctors we got to know so well. I gave Dr. Lindsay a hug and promised to send pictures. At JP's ear appt., we first met with an audiologist who tested his hearing. I just laughed because she did not say his hearing was "good", she used the words "great" and "perfect". I told him I've got his number now, because when he says "what?" when I ask him something I now know that he is just choosing not to listen to me! His tubes look good and seem to be working.
On Thursday morning, JP and I went to his 5 year well child checkup at the pediatrician's office. They asked for a urine sample when we arrived and that's when the day took a turn for the worse. Within a few minutes, a nurse came in and took a blood glucose sample from his finger. It read 274, which is very, very high. With the high amount of sugar in his urine, they thought we needed to go see someone that same day to see if JP has diabetes. Diabetes?? That is just about the last thing I expected to hear. Sometimes even I wonder how I hold it together when being told things like this. So, at 1pm we were at the Barbara Davis Center for Juvenile Diabetes here in Denver. When they took his blood sample, they were encouraged that the number had gone down and another test showed that levels of antibodies that would be fighting off the insulin did not appear to be accumulating in his blood over the past 3 months. He did still have elevated levels in his urine though. We were sent home with a blood glucose monitor to take 2x's a day over the weekend. The doctor does feel that there is a chance that JP could have elevated levels due to a virus. Kind of a fluke thing, but that morning Joe complained of a sore throat and actually did have a fever when we were at the doctor's office. We will get the official blood results back in 1-2 weeks that will tell us 96% for sure whether he has it or not. His sugar levels over the weekend tested within the normal range which is encouraging. The doctor said if he does have it, it may be at the very early non-symptomatic stages. So his body has not destroyed all the insulin yet. But she did say that there is nothing we can do to stop it if he does, so we are just praying that he doesn't have have to do shots everyday for the rest of his life. (I told you Thursday wasn't good.)
On Friday morning we went up to the Stapleton's 4th of July parade. In our neighborhood they do a parade around Central Park with kids, people and animals from the neighborhood. JP decorated his bike for the occasion. He had American flags, ribbons, signs, and some red and blue plastic frogs :) taped on. He rode with Daddy and Grandpop while Grandmom and I watched with the kids in the triple stroller. It was a nice event and all the kids got bomb pops at the end. We did cause a little stir with the triplets, but everyone was very nice and I heard several nice comments like "Way to go Mom!"
On Saturday we had a barbecue at our house. We celebrated Pop's birthday with a wonderful coconut cake Grandmom made. We had a great time and there were plenty of kids. If you wanted to hold a baby, this was the place to be with 5 under the age of 1!
We're having a great time with Joe's parents and they've already been such a big help. We joke though that the kids are going to go through withdrawls when they leave with all the attention. That's OK though, because as Grandmom says, this time goes by so fast. They are already getting so big its amazing!
Here are a few photos from the week:

JP after the parade

Joe's work sent us these outfits for the triplets- too cute!


While Ryan and Caitlin sleep the day away.. Maddi will play!

And here are plenty more... http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=11inays5.bpa0dbgt&x=0&y=d1ut2f&localeid=en_US
No comments:
Post a Comment